Meeting new people is tough
Afterall, you’re probably worried you might do it wrong:
- You might bother them
- They might reject you
- You could piss them off and cost yourself a new job opportunity
- The list goes on and on
That’s why rule #1 is… 🛑 don’t start with a message like this:
Hi [Hiring Manager]! I saw that [Company] was looking for an [Aircraft Type] [Captain, First Officer] and was just wondering if you guys were also looking for [Qualifications]. I have roughly [Total Hours] with over [Hours] on [Aircraft Type]. I have a degree from [University] and prior Part [91, 135, 121] experience as well. Thank you for your time.
Instead do this:
- Get on LinkedIn 💻
- Go to the search bar at the top of the screen
- Type in the company name you’re targeting
- Click search
- Click on the Company Page when it shows up
- In the center of the screen (left hand side on desktop), you’ll see a People Tab…
- Click On It…
- LinkedIn will highlight all the folks at this company you’ve worked with in the past!
- HR, Recruiters, Directors, Chief Pilots, Line Pilots, and more…
- Even better, LinkedIn will show you every person working at that company that has a profile. Even the ones you don’t know…YET
Here’s what pilots just like you have to say about taking this approach:
“Thank you! My LinkedIn profile looks awesome. I kid you not, I’ve already been contacted by a company today looking to do a phone interview…I appreciate all the help. Thanks!”
– T.H. Legacy Airline Pilot
“Looks like Raven does good work. My LinkedIn profile was updated yesterday and I got a comment on my resume today. I’ve never had anyone make a comment on my resume before.”
– M.M. Furloughed Pilot
Need help meeting new people?
So, if you’re trying to meet someone new…
Stop sending awkward messages
They make you look desperate and needy
Work smarter not harder
Leverage your existing contacts…
Let them do the heavy lifting and make the connections for you on LinkedIn!
If you’re struggling with:
- Finding a new job
- Making it past the phone screen
- Struggling in interviews
- Or are unsure of what you should do next
Still unsure? Here’s what another pilot just like you had to say:
“I’m still in awe of what you were able to do with my profile. How you were able to turn two hours of me bloviating into this awesome picture of what I do and what I have done is truly a work of art. Thanks again!”
INTERESTED IN MORE AVIATION NEWS?